The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Friday, May 27, 2011

What is a home without children? Quiet.


I remember when Cam and I were thinking about starting our family. We often pondered what our children might be like. Sweet, docile, content, and beautiful of course. Boy, were we in for a surprise. The beautiful part came true, but the rest was kind of a pipe dream. Allegedly, I signed up for the most strong willed, spunky kids heaven had to offer. I would never change that, but a guide book would have been nice.

Reggie
Reggie is an interesting guy, to make a huge understatement. This kid is all about discovery and creation. He was trained in the Lego school of engineering by his dad, who was equally addicted, and he has taken his skills far beyond what he was taught. If you can dream it, he can make it out of Lego. Right now he is in a Lego Mindstorms Robotics class that is really challenging and fun for him. I'm hoping all this eventually leads to an engineering degree down the line. He is very tender hearted and emotional. His artistic skills never cease to amaze me. I love and cherish this talent that has been passed down from his dad. Sports are another passion, with his best skills being in running. He is an organizer. He loves to make plans and then put them into action with all the neighborhood kids that will follow. When it comes to a sense of humor, he has one of the best. We have a lot of good laughs together. When he tires of Lego and outdoor pursuits, he can be found in the kitchen cooking.

Marin

I always pictured myself having all boys, but what would our family be without this little fireball. I have never seen a kid with a stronger will. She cannot be bribed, cajoled, convinced, or anything of the sort if she has her mind made up. Academics are one of her biggest strengths. She eats up anything school can offer her. To my everlasting delight, she LOVES to read. It is a full time job keeping her stocked with reading materials. She, like Reg, is also very creative. Crafts and card making are some of her favorite things to do. How she came from me, I'll never know. Never thought I would see the day when my house was filled with glitter glue and Stampin' Up supplies. I don't even know how to use that stuff. She is very competitive and loves sports. Most recesses she can be found taking the boys to task in a kick ball game. Did I mention her fiery temper? I wonder where she got that from.............

Cooper

This kid was a dream baby and perfect child-----that is, until he hit the age of two. Our family has never been the same, haha. Complete strangers often come up to me and comment on his adorable little grin. He is all smiles, this guy. After some careful tutelage from his older brother, he has become a Lego master as well, particularly in the Star Wars variety. Coop loves to play outside for hours on end. He brags the fact that he is the only one in our family that will hold worms and grasshoppers. He loves to sing. He sings while he plays, works, travels, just about everywhere. Right now his favorite activity is soccer. Another interesting fact about Super-Coop is that he is a grazer. He never eats a full meal, just grazes incredible amounts of food all the day long. He loves to crack jokes and tease.


Raising spirited children is definitely a challenge; one I hope I am equal to. What a privilege it is to be trusted with these three amazing spirits. I learn so much from each of them and love them to bits!



1 comment:

Barb said...

Love these pictures of your kids, they are so darling, and also glad to know them better, sometimes I miss not having my kids in Cardston at school because I want to know all my friends kids.