The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Friday, May 6, 2011

Adventures in Blood Letting

If you know me very well at all, you know I am very serious about donating blood. I didn't start until about two and a half years ago. I don't know why I didn't before. Maybe my deathly fear of needles had something to do with it.  Well-- now I have a reason and I plan on doing it for the rest of my life. My donation history got off to a very rocky start. They even told me I shouldn't come back at one point, but I didn't listen. Determined and strong willed, I stuck with it, and it has worked out. It may sound weird, but I love it. It may be one of my most favorite things to do. What's better, I always do it with my oldest, dearest friend.

She doesn't like needles either. In fact donating isn't a cake walk for her, but she does it for me--because she loves me that much. She'll never know exactly what that means to me. Boy, we have had some adventures at the donor clinic. Ones we like to laugh about now. Ones that involve low blood pressure, and near fainting, and barfing, and wheelchairs, and cold cloths. We know most of the nurses by name and they know us. They know we come as a package deal. They know that she has to sit right by me while I donate. She is my lucky charm.

Today was my 16th donation. 16 is my favorite number for a lot of reasons. I think it was fitting that I clocked my best donation time (6:47) on number 16.

Please consider donating. My husband used 100 bags of blood products in the course of his cancer treatment. I am determined give that many bags. I have a long way to go, I know. But with my buddy by  my side it will happen.

Completely unrelated to the above post, but I thought you would enjoy my favorite Mother's Day video:

1 comment:

Kaylynn said...

Now I understand why you have a passion about giving blood. good job on 16 times. That is a funny video, so true:)