The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's Raining on My Parade

Wouldn't you say enough is enough? Not only were we robbed of spring but now Mother Nature threatens to take summer as well? I have a hard time with grey skies, mood wise that is. Everyone's grumpier when the sun is not shining, including me. This rain is really cramping my style and here is why:

* Track Meets

My kids were getting so stoked for their upcoming track meets. This is an area where Reggie really shines and I hate for him to miss it. He even got some new track shoes and I catch him inspecting and caressing them every chance he gets. We have been out practicing and were so ready. I was going to take the day off to cheer them on in true fatal attraction mom style. It has been postponed indefinitely. Boo! My school's divisional track meet was also this week. It is one of my favorite school days of the year.  Love seeing my students push themselves to the limit. Again, postponed.

* Garden

Last year my garden drowned because I missed the one nice day window during planting time. This year I was all smug thinking I had timed it perfectly and had it in before most people. Pretty sure my peas are rotting in their tender little skins.

* Flowers

Flower gardening is a big passion of mine. There are not many places I would rather be than the green house. On Monday I carefully selected my plants, designed color schemes, and racked up some big numbers on the cash register. Hope those little beauties know how to swim.

*Lawn Mowing

Cam and I used to have a lawn mowing business. We were pretty stupid working full time jobs and then caring for 13 lawns each week. We had the sign language down pat over the drone of the engines. It is actually one of my fondest memories. There is just something about the clean cut lines, the smell of gas and earth, and the satisfaction of decapitating those stray pieces with the weed whacker. This may be an indication of how exciting my social life is, but mowing my lawn is one of my favorite past times. Shame  on you rain  separating me and my beloved lawn.

* Outside activities

I love living outside. Considering I live in Southern Alberta, this is kind of ironic. Supervising water fights, biking, running, soccer, watching soft ball games, weeding, reading on the deck. Definitely hard to do these in the down pour.

* School

Have you ever thought about what junior high lunch time supervision might be like when people have been cooped indoors for days on end. Well, let me tell you, it's not pretty. Picture a zoo break, but with more hormones.

Well, the only remedy I figure is to listen to a bit of UB40 reggae, and do some virtual sunny vacation planning on expedia.

Excuse me, I think I hear my sump pump going off. Be back when the sun shines.

1 comment:

Christal said...

eww I am so so sorry rain does put a damper haha on things!! That does suck we tried to plant our garden monday and got poured on three times so we gave up might have been a good thing! Hopefully summer will be better than last year that is for sure!!