The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Life in the fast lane

There are three things that are kicking my butt right now. They are:

1. Soccer
2. School
3. Kids

I love this time of year when the weather gets warm, but sometimes feel like AHHHHHHHH!!!! what was I thinking??? I'm sure all you moms out there have a wonderful handle on things. I'm not one of them. Oh, sure, on the outside it might seem like it's smooth sailing, but in reality I'm hangin' on by my fingernails.



Let's explore each of these categories in depth, shall we?

Soccer-- Four blissful nights a week. My kids absolutely love it and so do I. Three different sizes of cleats, socks, shirts, water bottles. It is like a wild sports themed treasure hunt that usually ends in a lot of yelling and tears. Then you get to watch the kiddles run around doing drills for the bulk of the allotted time and end with them playing a game for 10 minutes where they might have touched the ball two times.

School-- 150 teenagers in 6 hours. Doesn't that just sound like a dream? Well, for weird people like me it is. I love the kids. They tolerate me. I get to indoctrinate them with the joys of writing and literature to my hearts content. BUT..........then comes the marking. Hundreds of mediocre essays filled with facebook jargon and shallow insights litter my desk. Once in a while I strike gold and am rewarded with reading something that is almost reminiscent of poetry, a piece of writing that makes you want to dance on the table top. Those little gems are what keep me slogging through the mediocracy.

Kids-- Right now one of my children is really giving me fits. Let's call him "evil grin". He looks all cute and cuddly on the outside but now and again a monster so vile is released that it would make you shudder with terror. The monster has been coming around quite frequently this week. Tantrums have been thrown around here recently that would cause many to give up parenthood for good or at least put the kids up for sale on ebay. I have been plotting with my other kids, (Relief Society Pres. and Budding Engineer) about an intervention. We are a little scared but we think tomorrow night might be the perfect night for operation monster kill. If it goes well, I'll share the details, if it doesn't we are all going to pretend it never happened. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Christal said...

Cor I feel like I could have written this post ! Soccer 4 times a week crazy running around everywhere add in some cubs piano thankfully dance just ended! But crazy then life with masen is pretty much number there ;) and school as in parent council room mom...permission slips..okay anyway life is busy and crazy that is for sure! You are amazing and I know you are a great teacher those kids are lucky to have you all of them!!! Hope you have a great week!

Kaylynn said...

We only get to go to soccer 3 days a week, but it does make life crazy. Fun but crazy. My house is like a tornado in between events.