The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Thursday, September 8, 2011

What I've Been Up To...........


The last week or so has been crazy. I've forgotten what the start of school does to my life. The most mind blowing part of the last couple of weeks is the realization that I have a JUNIOR HIGH STUDENT!

It really hit me hard when I was doing supervision in the hallway between classes and I felt a tap on the shoulder and a voice that said, "Hi Mom." That made it all too real. So very fun though. He is in my language class and I also get to coach his volleyball team. I have been waiting my whole life to coach my own kid in a school sport.

Above are our first day of school picts.


After that abbreviated start up week, it was time to relish the long weekend. I have been looking forward to this Sept. long for a while. We have started a tradition of doing Cam's favorite hike on this weekend, the Carthew-Alderson. It is rated as one of the toughest hikes in Waterton, but also the most beautiful. We couldn't have ordered up a more perfect day. Not a breath of wind, no clouds in the sky, and great company.

 

I can't really remember a day when I felt so alive. The crisp mountain air, the taste of fresh thimble berries, dipping my toes in a cascading waterfall, the tug of a rainbow trout on the end of my line---it all added up to an amazing day that I hated to see come to a close.
From start to finish it took 8hrs. It is an 17km hike which we probably could have done in 6 hrs, but we took off time to fish. I caught 5 and Reg caught 6. Wish I would have got a picture of mine. Thankfully Sunday was the next day, so we could take time to recover. On Monday we did the bike trail from the town site to the gate, which was 16 km. Loved every minute of it! It all ended with a well deserved large Rocky Road Big Scoop ice cream.

Reluctantly, we packed up the trailer and said good bye to the summer life style of the last few weeks. Great memories!

1 comment:

Kaylynn said...

Wow - that is a lot of kilometers in one weekend. The weather was awesome. How is volleyball going?