The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Friday, August 26, 2011

Sixteen Years

Today is my 16th wedding anniversary. You may think it strange that I refer to it in the present, but if we are going to be all correct about things that statement is true. Because I was married and sealed in the temple, our marriage is eternal. I'm not exactly excited about this inconvenient (wow, what an understatement) interruption in our wedded bliss, or the fact that we have to observe this occasion separately, however, I am still so grateful for the 13 years we were able to celebrate together.

The irony of it all is that our marriage was so great. I'm not just saying that because he is gone, but it truly was. Here is what you all would be jealous about:

*He did the laundry. Need I say more?

*He LOVED to cook. We benefitted greatly from his hours pouring over cook books.

*He spent so much time with the kids. He never let his work or hobbies interfere with his relationship with the kids. You would often find him pitching to them in the front yard, building lego, drawing with them, dancing in the living room with them, laying on their bed at night visiting with them, fishing with them, wrestling with them, and a myriad of other things. I can't think of another dad I know that spends as much time with his kids as he did with his. It was like he knew he needed to cram it in.

* He spent tons of time with me. We had so much in common that neither of us really found a need to spend a lot of recreational time with friends. We loved playing team sports together, hiking, camping, and playing crib after the kids went to bed.

*He is so kind and thoughtful. I would frequently find a little note tucked into my lunch, or a sticky note on the dash board. I got flowers for no reason and gifts just because.

One of our engagement picts. Haha!
* There were no man/woman tasks in our house. If the bathroom needed to be cleaned and he noticed first, he did it. If the lawn needed to be mowed, I often did it.

*He lived in the moment. I've never seen anyone who could live in the moment like he could. His mind was never preoccupied with the list of things he had to do, or things he was worrying about, he just enjoyed what he was doing, or who he was talking with.

*He showered me with compliments. I always felt loved and that I was someone important.


Because of all these wonderful things, a day like this is even harder than it would be otherwise. Although the sting of separation is a painful reality every day, he is MINE.

Always and forever!

4 comments:

Christal said...

and this just made me cry!! YOU are amazing and so strong HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

arlene said...

I just love this Cor! What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man and a truly amazing couple! It made me smile as I remembered all the great qualities Cam has! And you're pretty incredible yourself too! :)

JRO said...

Thanks for this post (and for sharing your anniversary with me last night...I totally needed the adult time). I feel blessed to have you as a friend and to have known Cam, too. You are (and always will be) an amazing couple. I believe you are both still working together for your family, still a great team.

And I can't believe that (on your anniversary, of all days) I forgot about the roses my neighbor brought over for us. Sometimes my mind is such a traitor - it just abandons me. I even managed to forget about them all night. They were pretty wilted this morning when I found them on the front step. I'm trying to nurse them back. If it works, I'll drop them by.

Barb said...

I love you Coralee!