The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Friday, July 8, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things!

We all know that true happiness doesn't come from things. There are a few "things" though that bring me a lot of pleasure or satisfaction, if only for the short term.

Lindor Chocolate Bar with Sea Salt (A.K.A.-- Heaven)

If you haven't had one of these puppies you are really missing out. Chocolate is SERIOUS business with me. I've sampled pretty much everything and this is the queen of all chocolate bars. Basically, if you haven't tried one of these you HAVEN'T LIVED! I promise you will not be disappointed. Don't ever let your kids find out about these. Very dangerous indeed. These are best enjoyed alone, in moments when you are ready to lose it.






The Smell of Canadian Tire

This smell is my drug. Just kidding, but I could hang out here all day breathing deeply. Maybe it is because my dad is a mechanic and I've spent a lot of time in a garage over the years. I wish I could find it in a candle or an air freshener. Smell aside, Canadian Tire is a pretty cool store to browse and buy.



Philippine Young Dried Coconut


This is Costo's best addition of this year. This stuff is so yummy and very addicting I might add. You will definitely need at least two bags to get you through 'til the next Costco trip. Be choosy about the bags you pick. Make sure you find the ones that have the big, thick chunks. they are waaaaay better.





The Color Brown

I'm very partial to the color brown. Half my wardrobe is brown. Furniture---brown. Rug---brown. Cupboards----brown. Make up----brown. You get the idea. I guess I'm kind of a monochromatic type.







Cotton Jersey Sheets-

I bought these just this year and they are the best. So soft and comfortable. I will never go back to "other" sheets. Guess what color I have?







Team Sports

I love all team sports. The thing I hate the most about getting old is
that it limits my opportunities to play team sports. This year I was able to play some organized volleyball and basketball. My new favorite
team sport is soccer. I haven't played organized soccer since I was 12, but this year, for the first time, they have started a co-ed adult soccer league in town. It is so fun (and tiring). I imagine myself doing things like this (see pict). But I know full well that I am actually executing moves that are less than amateur. Every week I learn a little more. Love it!


Bike Riding at Dusk

Sunset is my favorite time of day. Lately the kids and I have been taking bike rides at that time of day. We take a full body shower in repellant and then mosey through the streets of Cardston at a leisurely pace. Wish I could do this every night, minus the repellant.






Laser Tag

Laser Tag is my new obsession. During finals week when the students were gone a co-worker brought some laser tag guns to play with during our lunch breaks. I got hooked and quicker than you could tuck and roll I was ordering some for myself off of Amazon. We have been playing non-stop since they arrived. The neighbors are probably wondering what the heck I am teaching my posterity over here. I figure it is a lot better than sitting around watching TV and playing video games. Quality time I tell you!


Well, these are the favorites for today. There may be an addendum in the future.

2 comments:

Chelannigans said...

My Dad told me all about the laser tag game you guys played at the school! It sounded super fun. A couple days after he told me about it, I was dropping my sister off at her friends house and I saw Jamie Atwood in the bushes playin laser tag with all the neighborhood kids haha

Kaylynn said...

I have never played laser tag, but it looks so fun. I didn't know about the brown obsession, so I learned something new. I will have to try that Lindt chocolate with sea salt.