The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Ol' Neighborhood That Felt Like Family

I was blessed with one of the most amazing childhoods. I didn't realize that everyone didn't have that until I got older. My family didn't have a lot, financially speaking, but what we did have was one AMAZING neighborhood.

If my memory serves, we had about 25 kids living in a two block radius. We were all friends, aside from a few minor squabbles. It honestly was something like you see off the movies. Kick the can, cat and mouse biking games, Monopoly marathons, tramp football, bonfires, ping pong tournaments, garden raids, softball in the vacant lot, mud pies, water fights, lemonade stands, and tree climbing. Yep, we had it all.

Sometimes I go for a walk through my old neighborhood and grieve a little bit for those times and those people who were so much a part of my every day life. I love them, and I love the memories I have from those years. The other thing I grieve is that my kids don't and probably won't ever have a neighborhood like I had. They don't exist any more.

Kids are too scheduled to enjoy the simplicity of the neighborhood family life style. They are busy running to soccer and basketball, piano lessons and play practice, swimming and tutoring. That was the one thing we had growing up---TIME!

 If I had a genie and three wishes, a day in the old neighborhood would definitely be one of my requests.
So to Mindy, Chris, Rob, Scott, Jamie, Rosslene, Jeff, Jacob, Janelle, Wendy, Sharalee, Arlene, Christal, Holly, Donna, Mark, Jon, Ben, Jenna, Jaelan and many others----thank you for those times!!!!

3 comments:

Sharalee said...

Awww...the good 'ole days!! I think of them often with fondness and also wish my kids could enjoy the same thing!

Christal said...

The good ole days is right! I feel sad when I see how run down things have gotten over there and i always remember all the fun times and late nights and one of the best places I ever lived growing up was right there! I'm with you too I wish my kids could have the same thing but its true kids are to scheduled up instead of just being able to run and play..Thanks for all the good times and welcoming us from the start! I miss it too! Awesome post!!

arlene said...

We were very blessed to have so many great friends and incredible memories. What I wouldn't give to revisit those days! Even after all these years, the friendships and love are still there. Thanks to all for being so great and including me as one of "the gang" when I moved here.