The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Thursday, January 19, 2012

So I Think This House Thing is a Go

My mind has been very occupied lately. With what, you may ask? With all things house.  Just a couple of months before Cam's diagnosis we were in the process of planning our dream house. Of course, those plans came to an abrupt halt as all our extra cash was siphoned away for travel and medical expenses and treatment.

However, this year I came to the realization that our plan could still move forward. At first I felt like I was crazy for even thinking this, but then again, a realization: There is nothing holding me back, so why not? I also felt like the time was now because I want my kids to enjoy this house with me and they will be gone all to soon. So.........no time like the present eh?

To add to the lunacy, I have decided to general contract it myself. I mean, how hard can it be right? Ha. I am finding out how hard in a real hurry. But saving $30 grand by doing it is quite motivating, despite the work and headaches that have only just begun.

As is evidenced by my pinterest posts of late, my mind is swimming with house ideas and decisions that have to be made. If all goes well I am hoping to start in the spring. I have 10 acres of land right on the edge of town that I will be building on. The kids are excited to be close to my dad's horses and are even talking about setting up a chicken coop. We can be pretend hobby farmers I guess.

Even though the decisions and processes are stressful, I haven't had this much fun or have been this excited about something in a long time. I hope I still feel this way as the project moves forward.

It is pretty fun to watch the responses I get from people and businesses as I go about my to do list. People around here aren't very used to seeing a woman dealing with things like getting contractor quotes and presenting to the town council and planning commission.  At first it felt like they were humoring a little child, but when I keep coming back and harping on them, I think they know now that I mean business.

I welcome any and all tips from my vast (haha) reading audience that they think would help on this journey. I will keep you posted on the progress, or lack of it ; )

3 comments:

Christal said...

That is a beautiful house. So exciting and awesome and I'm pretty sure you will do an awesome job!! I'm excited to read how it goes!

Kaylynn said...

Is that really a picture of your future house? It is awesome! A new house is very exciting. I hope all of the subcontractors do their job well and on time so the general contractor doesn't have to get after them. Good luck picking doorknobs and lightswitches!

Barb said...

Squeaky wheel gets the oil keep at it! So excited for you!! I was pregant when we built and I cried when I didn't get my way! Seriously!! It totally worked!!