The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!













Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.  It turns what we have into enough, and more.  It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.  It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.  Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.  ~Melody Beattie


In my online travels this week I ran across this quote. I am kind of a quote junkie.  As I have been pondering the Thanksgiving season this week, that first line really gnawed at me---"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life." Being the carnal species we are, we fall into the trap of taking the common things for granted. The more we are around them, the less we actually see them. They become the backdrop of our lives, exempt from our list of blessings. Just because they are common doesn't mean that they are not incredible gifts. They are just shrouded with the film of everyday life.


I remember driving home after a two and a half month stay at the Calgary hospital. When that familiar, yet picturesque mountain range came into view I was overcome. I couldn't help but weep at that stunning sight that had been mine to enjoy every day of my life previous to hospital time. It was a moment of pure, unrestrained gratitude. How could I have taken this for granted every single day! I vowed to never again look at those mountains without offering a silent prayer of thanks and summoning a genuine feeling of awe. 


This is just one example. Think of those things that are around you, a part of you, each and every day. Your healthy, happy kids, the absence of war and oppression, the good job, the caring friends, the family that lives close by, the library that is only 1 block away, the chocolate bar in your cupboard begging to be eaten, your ability to see, touch, walk, think, and express. How blessed we are! 


During this Thanksgiving week I am pledging to look for the magic and miracles in the common and every day of my life, because they are not so common to some..................


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

2 comments:

Patty Pitcher said...

Love the quote. Great post. Hope you had a fantastic thanksgiving.

Kaylynn said...

Happy thanksgiving - a little late. We do take things for granted. We do live in a great place. The mountains are beautiful.