The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Meal Made of Nostalgia

Today I was thinking about my Grandma Sheen as I was weeding my garden---my garden that I wish resembled hers, but doesn't really. Now that I am older and wiser I greatly admire the way she kept her neat and tidy garden. I have a lot of fond memories involving her, and her garden.

Many hot August afternoons were spent sitting in the shady spot by her garage shelling endless buckets of peas. Often I would enlist the help of my friend Mindy, who gladly obliged. We sat and visited with Grandma and my mom as we shelled and ate at least half of what we shelled.

When everything was up and the plants fairly mature she would make creamed vegetables and invite us up to her house for lunch. We would take everything out to picnic table in her back yard and eat the fruits of her labors. Back then, I thought I didn't really like creamed vegetables all that much, but as I sat admiring the fruits of my labors in my own little patch, I had this overwhelming urge to make creamed vegetables for my kids.

I sat with my daughter shelling peas, savoring the similarities of my own childhood. Gathering the ingredients, we headed to the kitchen to make the meal I knew so well.

There is something supremely satisfying about eating a meal consisting entirely of things you have grown and nurtured yourself. As I listened to the compliments of my children and watched that creamy goodness dribble down their chins, I realized this was the happiest lunch I have been a part of in a very long time.

Thank you Grandma!

No comments: