The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Small Prayers Are Answered

The last few weeks, ok let's be real about it--MONTHS--have been really difficult as far as progress with the house goes. A while ago I asked a friend who had recently built a house what her best advice might be. Her response was "DON'T BUILD!" I now totally understand the wisdom in that statement and I haven't even broken one foot of ground.

Bureaucracy is the bane of my existence right now. I like to think of bureaucracy as a large, disgusting beast, kind of like Jabba the Hut. It is unfriendly, ruthless, oily, and ugly. It gobbles money, common sense, timelines, and hopes. In its slimy wake it leaves frustration, bitterness, feelings of defeat, and injustice. I'm just so done with it! I had a moment last week where I was 100% ready to throw in the towel. I couldn't stand dealing with it one more minute. Then, I realized if I did give up, then they would win. Now, if you know me at all you know that I am a little competitive. Ok, I admit it, I'm too competitive. I cannot let them kick me down and then slither away with my tail between my legs. I needed to come up fighting. I had a good sleep and a lot of chocolate and I was ready to go again.

That night I sought some divine intervention. I was doing everything I could do on my end and nothing was progressing. Sending up a desperate prayer, I left it in His hands. I don't think I have ever said a prayer with words in it like, road allowance, planning commission, and septic system, but who cares? We have been told to pray over EVERYTHING right? No lie, 20 minutes after I finished the prayer the phone rang. It was one of my contractors who was essential in getting the ball rolling. He wanted to meet the next day. Wow. Then the next afternoon, I came home to a message on my machine from the development officer stating that they reconsidered something that they weren't going to consider before. Double wow! Then that night I got an email from another key player who was willing to help me out in a big way. Flabbergasted, I sent up several prayers of gratitude. Ask and ye shall receive, I tell you.

I know this stuff is small potatoes in the eternal scheme of things but it had been consuming my every thought and spare minute. I was on the verge of a breakdown and the Man Upstairs knew it. I am so grateful for this tender mercy that let me know that HE IS AWARE OF ME and my STRUGGLES.

If everything goes well, I should be able to start excavating in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed. I got a lot accomplished on that vein this weekend as well. I went in to the window place and got all my windows organized and quoted, as well as meeting with the geothermal guys. Plans for quotes have been delivered to all but a couple of my contractors. I don't dare curse myself by saying things have been going ALMOST smooth, but the last 3 days have definitely been better.

Hopefully, I can forget about house woes for a few days while I am ripping up powder in Whitefish. Cooper has been down with a fever for the last couple of days so hopefully he will perk up tomorrow and that the trip can go forward. So looking forward to a change of pace!

1 comment:

Kaylynn said...

It is a good thing that the Lord does care about us - whether it is roads or kids or health. I am so glad you finally got good news. And I really hope Cooper is feeling better and that you have a fun get away!