The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fun Trip



Even though it started rather horrifically, we had a fantastic 3-day ski/snowboard trip to Kalispell. A while back my brother in law signed us up to stay at the Meadow Lake Resort near Whitefish. It was a good deal, but of course you had to listen to their time share pitch. I have never had the pleasure of sitting in on one of those so I was hoping I could be strong.

Upon arriving we were handed an info packet that stated we were to attend the 2 hour sales pitch at 9AM. Because skiing was going to be our primary activity, we asked the management to switch our time. And THAT's when the wheels fell off the wagon. In a few short minutes they made it quite clear that we were not allowed to switch our time to ANY OTHER TIME, and that we were getting a good deal, and that they were doing us a big favor, and that WE were being unreasonable, and a whole lot of other garbage. We didn't want to miss half a ski day just to listen to those clowns.

Don began to get a little steamed, as did I. Pretty soon we were in an almost shouting match trying to get our point across to these numb skulls. I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my entire life. We booked another hotel and got the h.... out of there. I am sounding the alarm to everyone far and wide--NEVER, EVER, STAY AT MEADOW LAKE RESORT no matter how good of a deal you think you are getting.














Whew. After that little incident, everything was awesome. We stayed at La Quinta which the kids love. We have never been there when we haven't had the pool and hot tub to ourselves. It is cheap and they also throw in breakfast. The first day we skiied at Blacktail, which is a fun little, family friendly mountain south of Kalispell. It is super cheap and very family friendly.

The next day we skiied Big Mountain at Whitefish. No so good of a deal, but I have never seen so much snow on a ski hill. It was unbelievable. Cooper would crash and he would go right out of sight under the powder. Falling was like landing on a marshmallow. The kids even convinced me to take a few of the jumps along with them, and amazingly I didn't kill myself. I almost felt young for an afternoon. Can't wait to go back there again. My new favorite find in Kalispell is the Bahio restaurant. Mexican food is a favorite of mine, and this restaurant did not disappoint. Such good food and so much of it.

The ride home was a little sketchy from Marias pass on. The roads were horrible and visibility was almost non-existent. However, after my brush with death on the Duck Lake road last year at this same time, I hardly bat an eye anymore.

Now it is back to reality and on to teacher's convention on Thursday and Friday.

P.S. Could someone please do something about this weather. I really want to dig my basement. Thank you in advance.
 

2 comments:

Mont and Dawna said...

Looks like an awesome trip! And I'd have to agree with those time share spiels they are horrible and always end in frustration. Way to get out of there and make a great trip even greater. We love the La Quinta, the Mexican and Kalispell in general...I wish we skied though those sound like fantastic conditions!

Kaylynn said...

I told you the timeshare people are harsh. Rachelle has a good timeshare story, too. If you haven't heard it, ask her sometime. I guess it was worth it to pay to go skiing at Whitefish. We were thinking traveling was probably not good that day.