The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thank Goodness For Daughters

I was talking with someone the other day about how scary it is to be raising daughters in this day and age. There are so many ways they can go wrong. I see it everyday at school. It is true, daughters can be a lot more difficult than sons in many ways, but there are also many extraordinary things about daughters as well.

Case in point, Tuesday. I had a an unusually long and exhausting day. I felt as if I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. I felt so unequal to the tasks given me. The constant commitments and being out of the house every night for the last few was taking its toll on me and the kids. The day ended with a long visiting teaching appointment--the kind that lasts more than an hour. I straggled in when I should have been tucking my kids in. I knew when I walked through the door I would be met with the disaster of the last few days. To add to the stress, I knew I had at least two hours of cleaning ahead of me that I had to get done, due to something that was happening the next day. Shocked and astounded, I entered in to a spotlessly clean house. Everything was picked up and in order, the kitchen was clean, supper had been made and cleaned up, and laundry was sorted and started. The love note left on my pillow was the final touch. I couldn't help it. I burst into tears. It was what I needed right then more than anything in the whole world, and it was all because of my sweet daughter. She is only 10 but has skills that many 16 years olds don't. How could I be so lucky to be blessed with such a remarkable individual? The boys couldn't fathom what I was so emotional about. Boys just don't get that kind of stuff. It wouldn't even OCCUR to them to do something like that.

I remember thinking when we were contemplating starting our family that I could definitely be an all boy mom. I didn't think I needed a girl. I couldn't have been more wrong. Surviving my life without her would be impossible. God has taken some important things away, but He has sure given me some amazing things in return. Thank goodness for daughters!!!!

4 comments:

Barb said...

So crying!! Ditto!

Kaylynn said...

What a good ending to a hard day. Thank goodness for a great daughter.

Sharalee said...

Well I can only image what I would have done under the same circumstances since I have tears rolling down my cheeks after just reading about it!! What an amazing young lady-you must be an amazing mother to have taught her so she would know what to do (most likely by example more than anything else). Girls are definitely a whole different blessing than boys.

JRO said...

Yep, here I am crying away. Oh, Mar, you're awesome!