The title of this blog is a favorite quote from Gretchen Rueben's book, The Happiness Project. I admit, I do catch myself wishing away some days, some seasons of life, hoping for better things. The years pass quickly and when I look back I realize those WERE the better things. In an effort to capture those better things I begin this blog. The details of my life are many things: mundane, quirky, sad, joyful, and hopefully, at times, entertaining. About three years ago my life was pretty much an open book when I blogged about our family's struggle with leukemia. When that was over I closed the book. I now open it again----well, at least a few chapters

Friday, May 4, 2012

Missing in Action

Well, I guess I deserve the prize for the most inconsistent blogger ever. Life has been so crazy that I just haven't found a moment to jot anything down. The other annoying thing is I think my phone was stolen, so all the fun pictures that I would have had to post are POOF! I was pretty ticked at first, but I am loving the new iphone I bought.

Where do I begin............How about with some categories?

House

Basement is done!  It is all completed and ready to begin framing. The problem is my framers got behind on their other job and now my framing job can't start until May 23. Boooooo! So frustrating. Road is done, and not without some major miracles. There as been a long standing disagreement with the Town of Cardston and I about this road. I thought they should be contributers, as it is a town road, and they thought I should foot the whole bill. Finally, I called up the mayor and the town admin and had them meet me and Dad up at the build site. We emphatically explained our case and asked for some concessions. They said they would see if council would pass them. A few days go by and I was standing there teaching my grade 7  class when I looked out my window and saw dump truck after dump truck heading to my property. I dashed up there after school to find out that the town agreed to pay for the grader operating cost, donate 26 truck loads of clay, and haul it in to boot! Miracles I tell you! Soooooo happy about that. That being said I do need to say that general contracting my own house was pretty much the stupidest decision that I have EVER made. Definitely over rated my abilities on that one. Basically, I have aged at least 10 years since the process started , taking at least that much time off my life span.  I just want a break from being in charge of every little thing. It would have been so nice to share this process with my best friend.


School

I have had some very stressful decisions to make in the last few weeks regarding school. First the vice-principal position came up at my school and several people encouraged me to apply. I hmmmed and hawed for many days and then decided it was not my season to do that kind of thing.

Then another opportunity presented itself to transfer to the High School. It is so hard to make a decision when both options have positives. I decided to stay put, which will have me teaching something completely new--grade 6 and a choral class. Big time stretching for me as I have been in a comfortable place for several years.

Other Stuff

Soccer season is in full swing. I decided to coach Marin's team this year, which has me coaching two nights a week. All together we have soccer three nights a week. The kids are loving it, but it a is mach speed life. I finally got my favorite color (orange) for my team color this year and I think it is a good omen. My players are trying to convince me to call our team the School Bus so that they can yell a chant at the other team each game, "We'll take you to school!" They are so funny. Today we were able to get outside and play some ball. I bet I pitched at least 100 pitches in the back yard. The kids never tire of it. Then it was on to some kids against mom soccer. After taking the lead, Mar says to me, "Mom, if you are going to play adult soccer you'd better step it up. I mean, you've got to me able to beat kids,". Touche!

2 comments:

Kaylynn said...

Having the basement done = exciting
Waiting for contractors = frustrating
I hope you make it through the process alive. You are amazing!
You did have big decisions to make this week. I am glad you are staying where you are. We will have to come and watch the school bus team:)
Your blog is one of my favorites to read. It is real life and insightful and well-written!

Barb said...

I will take whatever I can get because I too love reading your blogs. I love and hate building a house. Thanks for not going to the high school because Jesse is now!! We are super excited. Favourite thing about this blog. "it is not my season" I feel like I have to say this about once a week to myself and yet it is so important to know what I can and can't handle myself.